12 Professional Packing Tips for Moving Items
At Tru-Pak Moving Systems we understand how moving can be both frustrating and chaotic. As professional movers we know first-hand what a job packing and unpacking is and have seen clients misplace things, break and even lose all kinds of items during both the packing and unpacking process. Usually, when it gets to its final destination you don’t lose many boxes or items that made it on the moving truck, but proper organizing and packing is another story for many. Below are some helpful hints that will assist a client who is doing-it-themselves when it comes to both the packing and unpacking of their belongings.
Packing Tips-First Things First
Purchasing boxes from companies like U-Haul, Penske, and other carriers are the cheapest and made of the highest quality. Skip buying boxes from Walmart or Office Depot as the quality and prices of their boxes are not as good. It is also a good idea of numbering boxes and keeps an inventory of what is in what box.
- First, always start packing the items you rarely use and need to get out of the way like books, files, records, collectible items, and any hobby related items. This way you will make room for everything else that needs to be moved. Also, consider how you are going to stage the move from each room in your house or apartment.
- Second, always try and protect your items with packing materials such as newspapers and bubble-wrap, which are usually the most common and cost-effective way of wrapping your items.
- Never pack breakable and non-breakable items together in the same box. Always label breakable boxes “Fragile” so you know which ones need special care and handling.
- Purchase small and medium-size boxes as items can get quite heavy and bulky if too large. Better quality boxes are more durable and will limit your chances of breakage.
- Make sure you maximize each box’s space. Be mindful of the weight as someone is going to have to carry it and unload it. Organize the content of every box by packing the heavier items on the bottom. This will help maintain the box’s balance. Make sure that the box integrity is maintained. Try not to exceed 40lbs and try to limit the amount of 40lb pound boxes to a minimum.
- Always use strong, professional-grade packing tape to secure boxes. Make sure the bottoms are very secure as they will get the most amount of wear. Never, ever use masking tape or tape not designed to hold together heavy items. These tapes are not strong enough to handle most boxes to be moved.
- Label boxes according to what is in them and clearly mark them on several sides of the box. Guys, let your wives do the labeling as they will write legibly. You should also organize your packed boxes according to the rooms they are from. Another helpful tip is to number and list the general contents of each box for a quick reference guide.
- Mark boxes as ‘Open First” that you will need immediately after the move like household items, medical supplies, towels, and toiletries.
- Any boxed items that are of extreme importance or valuable should be carried with you at all times. Pack suitcases separately that you will carry in your car for your move.
- For all your electronics, take pictures of the back connections so you will know where and how to connect your items when you start reconnecting them. Make sure you pack all of the connections and wires with their corresponding devices.
- All breakable items such as China, Stemware, plates, bowls, etc. should be cushioned with plenty of crumpled newspaper at the bottom of a secured and well-taped box. Carefully wrap each individual item with newspaper and/or bubble wrap. As you lay each item in the box, make sure they are secure and cannot shift. Also, be mindful of the weight.
- Always pack your kitchen perishable items last. Don’t forget the ice and use coolers to pack cold items. These should move with you in your own vehicle.
Last but not least, consider having a professional mover like Tru-Pak Moving Systems give you a quote to pack and unpack, pack only and unpack only. We have affordable rates and even jump into an ongoing packing project when our clients feel they have taken on more than they can chew. Our professionally trained packers are experienced to ensure your valuables are pack safe and secure.
Rutherfordton Moving Company Specialists
Moving, which includes the largest project of them all, the packing of items, can be very stressful. Failure to have a plan or to use these helpful tips on your next move is a mistake. The better you pack the easier your move will go for everyone involved. Tru-Pak Moving Systems is not only Rutherfordton’s Moving Company it is where we started our moving business back in 1960. Tru-Pak Moving specializes in residential, commercial, local, long-distance, business, and corporate moving and employee relocation. Our military moving services are second to none and we are a licensed, bonded, and insured independent agent for United Van Lines. We also offer different packing and unpacking services, full or partial for all our customers. If you are in need of a quality mover and would like a free moving estimate, visit our website for an online moving quote or give us a call today (800) 659-1233 ext. 210.