7 Different Ways to Avoid a Moving Scam
Finding the right moving company in Lake Norman NC might be difficult, but for some, having a previous negative experience seems to be a good teacher and usually guides one towards the right choices. That is accomplished by not only asking the right questions but choosing a reputable, as well as experienced mover, with vast knowledge and processes the others don’t offer. Unfortunately, the market isn’t only filled with top-notch professional movers in Lake Norman but companies that may be less than reputable and willing to take your money and give you problems back in return.
Here are some of the smart ways you can identify the tricks and safeguard yourself and your possessions from the moving scammers:
- Don’t get too excited on receiving a low quotation: Many times, this should sound an alarm bell in your mind rather than excite you. Any mover who is quoting prices much lower than the going market price, must either be a scammer, or is in desperate need of customers (which might also be an indicator that this mover is a professional scammer).
- Always Get a Written Estimate: Another tell-tale sign of a moving scams is that when you call them for a moving estimate, they give you a verbal estimate without providing you with a written estimate and a bona fide contract. This is used as a trick to lure you into hiring them and once they arrive, they may increase the estimate by sometimes as much as 2 or 3 times the original offer. At this point you might not have any recourse, since you have built your plans around this moving day, outside of firing them on the spot. However, if you have to move that day, you may be stuck with this moving company choice unfortunately. Then it might come down to your ability to negotiate a better deal then the one they put in front of you. Poor moving company choice in any event.
- Be Sure to Get References-Check for Registered Complaints: This is the best, surefire way to see if the company you are opting for is reliable or not. Check their reviews for customer complaints or any filings with the BBB against the moving company. If you sense they are shady, or they are less than reputable, choose another option.
- Browse Through All Your Available Options: Even if you are in a hurry and it might be absolutely necessity to find a moving company immediately, it is always best to browse through various options before making your choice. Usually hiring the first one you come across is not always a prudent decision. This way, you will not only have multiple quotes, but can compare prices and services and of course the contract terms prior to making a firm decision.
- Beware of Moving Companies Asking for Hefty Deposits: A demand for a deposit isn’t a problem, but to pay the entire moving fee up front is not a typical practice in our industry. This may be a good indication that you’re dealing with the wrong company and being scammed. These types of fly-by-night companies may take your money and never show up on the day of the move. You will end up being the victim of this type of fraudulent behavior without any recourse.
- Who will Insure Your Goods Against Damage or Theft: Whether you are hiring a moving company to move expensive items or have valuables that might not be insured against theft or damage, moving company scammers will not provide adequate protection? In the case of scams, it has been reported that some unscrupulous moving companies take goods hostage and demand ransoms for not paying over inflated billing. Stay on the safe side by having insurance and also file an investigative report right away if this ever happens.
- Don’t be Afraid to Ask Questions: Remember, reputable moving companies have nothing to hide. They should always provide you with their license and insurance information which you can validate. If they can’t or refuse to provide this information to you, then by all means don’t hire them.
It is always better to take precautionary and preventive measures when choosing a mover while looking out for signs that might indicate a scam. Also, it is better to conduct research beforehand than to select the wrong moving company based on internet advertising positions. Choosing the right moving company should be based on these 6 basic ethical practices and any reviews or customer referrals.
Lake Norman Moving Company
At Tru-Pak Moving Systems we have been serving the needs of Lake Norman residents for over 60 years. We have an A+ rating with the BBB and have stellar Google+ reviews. We are a licensed, bonded, and insured independent agent for United Van Lines. We offer many scalable moving services and provide local, long-distance, and even international moves. Call us today for a free estimate of moving charges at 1-800-659-1233.